Wednesday 19 February 2014

Quick Write- The Reversed Order



They heard. Good! Now they were all running towards the door with excitement! Sensing the anticipation my fellows had, I stepped back as they swarmed the package.
"Let's take it to the kitchen!" One yelled.
"The Kitchen!!!!" it was a chorus of echoes through the halls. They shuffled into the dimly lit kitchen and began the process of cooking and edge thallus eating the human. I walked away to my chair and sat and watched as the commotion stirred to an all time high. It was funny to watch, how ferrocious we got about food. We eat and eat, but we never take a moment to appreciate the animal who gave up its life for our meal. I mean we eat to live and it dies to feed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a vegetarian, I just think  it's funny that we never appreciate the fagility of life. As I sat I noticed out of the corner of my eye a flash, and then one of the younger ones, from upstairs, ran at the human flesh, slow cooking in the fire, and jumped on it and started chewing, and then there were 30, 40, 50! Too many to count all crammed into one little space trying desperately to get some food. I guess that why they call it a coop. We are chickens after all and if we see something one of us wants, we flock to it. Oh well, it was a nice dream. Packaged humans, chickens being superior. I guess I'll never know that feeling, back to corn for me.

-A Short Story by Ben McMahon

No comments:

Post a Comment